Cheap (or free) Summer Entertainment
I always have a lot more time to spare during the summer. Over the years, I’ve learned to take advantage of the cheap/free entertainment offered in the city. Here are my top 5 (not in any particular order)
- Movies under the stars: In my city, some of the parks will have a public amphitheater or outdoor stage. On different days of the week, they will have a free movie nights opened to the public. Most movies shown tend to be older and “family-friendly” in order to reach a wide audience, but who doesn’t love old Pixar films? A lot of people will picnic at the park beforehand.
- Shakespeare Festival: Many cities have their own Shakespeare Festival at a park, and Louisville is no different. Every year, a two or three plays are put on and they each run about a month long. The best part is that it’s free (although they always ask for donations during the intermission)!
- Neighborhood Festivals and Block Parties: The fun factor and costs depends on the event and/or neighborhood. A lot of these have free concerts, food tastings, and games.
- July 4th Events: Free music and fireworks, what more can I ask for?
- Gallery Hops: A lot of cities have art districts. Once a month we have free trolleys that take us up and down the art district. Galleries and shops are opened late. I always enjoy seeing contemporary art and discovering new, quirky shops (I usually leave my money at home to prevent any impulse purchases)
What kind of free entertainment do you take advantage of in your city/town?